Would You Like to Know More?
Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators Submissions
Deadline: December 1, 2017
The name has changed but the program remains the same. Studio 180 Theatre has once again been invited to be a third party recommender for the Ontario Arts Council’s Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators (formerly Theatre Creators’ Reserve) program and we’re seeking submissions from playwrights and collectives developing work that engages audiences and invites them to become part of an ongoing dialogue about issues and ideas of social relevance. Submissions may range from new, unexplored ideas to scripts further along in the development process, but in each case the funding priority will be to “buy time” for writers and artists to pursue, hone and explore projects that function as more than mere entertainments. Our focus is to support text based proposals that reinforce Studio 180’s commitment to provocative and insightful explorations of contemporary social and political issues.
Grant requests may range from a minimum of $1,000 to a maximum of $3,000. Studio 180 reserves the right to recommend artists for funding at a lesser amount than requested.
We will only be accepting electronic PDF submissions and applicants will be notified of results by e-mail no later than January 12, 2018. In order for successful applications to be processed and monies disbursed, all applicants must create and activate a profile in Nova, OAC’s online application system.
All e-mail submissions must include the following (attached as PDF files):
- One copy of a completed and signed application form from the Ontario Arts Council. Sign, scan and save the application as a PDF file with the name “tcrfirstnamelastname.pdf”.
- One copy of your completed proposal attached as a single PDF file with the name “tcrproposalfirstnamelastname.pdf”. All proposals should contain,
- A project description, including a synopsis of the piece (or the concept), the work’s history of development, a description of what the playwright or collective hopes to achieve creatively in the next phase of development and how they hope the work in question will affect audiences. (Maximum 3 pages)
- A brief biography of the playwright or members of the collective. (Maximum 1 page)
- If available, a script sample. If the work in question is in the idea phase and no draft currently exists, include a sample of past work of a similar nature/style. (Maximum 6 pages)
- If the playwright or collective is new to the writing process and does not have a sample of written/published material, explain what inspired you to pursue this new form of expression and what it is about this particular idea that merits exploration.
Please observe the stated page limits and know that full scripts will not be considered as part of the evaluation process.
Address submissions and any further questions regarding Studio 180 and our submission policies to Mark McGrinder at email@example.com
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE RECEIVED ELECTRONICALLY BY DECEMBER 1, 2017.
For applications, program guidelines and further information about the Theatre Creators’ Reserve please visit the Ontario Arts Council site.
The projects that earned our recommendation in 2016/17 were:
- Daniel Bennett’s Views
- Alison Lawrence’s The Right
- Polly Phokeev’s How We Are Part III: Lecture
- Amy Rutherford’s Mortified
- Darrah Teitel’s Behaviour
Find out more about last year’s recipients here.
Our deepest gratitude to the Ontario Arts Council for making this program possible and for allowing us to be a part of it once again. We look forward to adding to our list of worthy recipients and to discovering more of what Ontario’s theatre creators have to offer.